Ozone therapy is the use of medical ozone, a mixture of medical oxygen and medical ozone gases, for therapeutic purposes.
Medical ozone is a colourless gas which has a pungent smell. It is simply a highly reactive moiety of oxygen that is able to safely and easily initiates a series of biological reactions in the body that is very valuable when used in conjunction with other synergistic modalities.
HOW CAN OZONE THERAPY HELP YOU?
As part of a comprehensive health protocol ozone therapy has almost an unlimited number of applications. Ozone is very effective and has a broad spectrum of action. Unlike medications and herbs, ozone can be successfully used in essentially every medical condition regardless of the diagnosis. Scientific studies have shown ozone therapy to be effective in the treatment of:
- immune system deficiencies and imbalances
- autoimmune diseases
- cardiovascular/arterial circulatory diseases
- inflammatory conditions
- rheumatism and joints disorders (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis…etc)
- spinal disc disease
- bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections
- wounds, skin lesions and ulcers, bacterial and mycotic dermatological infections, burns, gastric and duodenal ulcers, abscess, fistulas
- conditions which result in excessive oxidative stress
- cancer; scientific studies have shown that ozone therapy is beneficial in patients suffering from cancer and that it reduces the side effects from chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
- improves overall energy levels in individuals
- improves performances in athletes
- improves the detoxification of environmental toxins
IS OZONE THERAPY SAFE?
The medical use of ozone has a safety history that is unprecedented in the history of medicine. It is the single safest therapy in the history of medicine. It is much safer than the use of aspirin. (Jacobs M, 1986;5:1-5)
ARE THERE CONTRAINDICATION TO OZONE THERAPY?
Ozone therapy can not be used in people suffering from:
- glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
- acute haemolytic anaemia
- during the first trimester of pregnancy
- in advance stages of infection from HIV
WHAT ARE THE EFFECTS OF OZONE THERAPY ON THE HUMAN BODY?
Ozone therapy works by correcting homeostatic imbalances in the body. It stimulates and stabilizes rather than suppressing biological functions.
Ozone therapy induces the body’s innate healing mechanisms to create the healing effect.
Ozone therapy activates cellular metabolism.
Ozone therapy stimulates the mitochondria in your cells to use the oxygen they get more efficiently.
Ozone therapy activates several cellular metabolic pathways resulting in
- increase production of ATP (energy) in the mitochondria of the cells
- increase in the production of 2,3 DPG in the red blood cells which in turn leads to increase oxygenation of the the tissues
- an increased enzymatic antioxidant and free radical scavenging capacity. Consequently ozone therapy protects against free radical damages caused by mechanical and chemical insults such as carcinogenic agents.
Ozone therapy induces the immune system and is immunomodulator.
Ozone is antibacterial, virostatic, antifungal and slows the growth of parasites.
Ozone therapy produces ozonides which exert a powerful antimicrobial effect in the blood.
Ozone therapy decreases the incidence of infection after surgery.
Ozone therapy works in synergy with antibiotics that is when it is used in combination with them, these latter are more effective and the chance of resistance falls close to zero.
Ozone is haemostatic which means it stops bleeding resulting from wounds or ulcers for example.
Ozone therapy induces the production of autacoids and growth factor by the platelets.
Ozone therapy stimulates erythropoietic stem cells ( cells which are giving rise to the red blood cells) resulting in the production of new and enhanced red blood cells.
Ozone therapy induces accelerated healing because of the above properties.
Ozone therapy affects all organs and parts of the body including the central nervous central and the bone marrow.
Ozone therapy regulates the body in the process of forming new vessels (angiogenesis).
Ozone therapy stimulates detoxification that is all the processes that go on in the cells that remove toxic substances (cellular waste products, medications, heavy metals and environmental chemicals)
HOW IS OZONE THERAPY APPLIED TO THE BODY?
There are different ways to administer medical ozone. The main methods I use are the following:
- intestinal insufflation
- vaginal insufflation
- bagging and cupping
- injections (into the joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons and in and underneath the skin).
- And more
In this method a small lubricated catheter is inserted into the rectum of the patient about 4 inches (10cm). Then a volume of 150 to 300cc of ozone is gently administered over a 5-10 minute period while the patient is laying on his/her side. Most patient feel no discomfort.
The patient is asked to refrain from passing gas or having a bowel movement for at least 30 minutes. It has been shown that the entire amount of ozone is fully absorbed by that time. So any gas or bowel movement that is passed after that period does not have any affect on the results of the therapy.
It is generally recommended that the procedure is be performed within a few hours following a bowel movement. Some patients may prefer to self-administer an enema on the morning prior to arrival for the procedure but it is not necessary. We generally suggest that the patient have had a normal bowel movement that morning before the procedure.
In this method ozone is administered through a vagina cannula inserted into the vagina of the patient. Treatment time is usually 5 – 15 minutes.
- Whenever a systemic treatment of ozone is indicated
- Especially useful for vaginal and vulvar problems such as persistent yeast infections, herpes infections, vulvodynia
Many women have reported relief from yeast infections and various sexually transmitted diseases including herpes.
In this method ozone is administered into the ear canal through an ear insufflator.
Helps treat head related symptoms such as:
- mold and yeast infections
- sore throats
- swollen glands
- brain fog
By adding ozone into a whole body suit into which you lie down, the ozone is easily absorbed into the skin and the lymphatic system through the open pores.
“Bagging” with ozone refers to the method of isolating a body part by surrounding it with a plastic bag (such as a hand, arm, leg, foot, torso, pelvis, but NEVER head), and introducing ozone.
- diabetic foot ulcers
- bed sores
- any wounds that are infected or slow healing, or those that refuse to heal.
- Skin lesions/diseases
This method refers to placing a plastic or glass cup over the area of the body being treated and fill the cup with ozone. It is used in conditions which affect localised and small area of the body.
Ozone can be injected alone into joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons and in and underneath the skin.
Ozone can also be injected with other substances and in this case it is called Prolozone.
It is a technique that involves the injection of a liquid solution comprised of procaine, vitamins, minerals, and homeopathic remedies into painful areas of the body. The area is then injected with ozone.